First and foremost, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who entered my giveaway. It was so nice to see so many of you come out of the woodwork to respond. I had no idea so many of you had made and loved my recipes. It made my heart overflow again with love. I greatly appreciate your suggestions on which desserts to scale down next. There was an overwhelming majority for coconut cream pie, angel food cake, pecan pie, and tiramisu. I will get right to work on all of your requests! I have to confess that I’ve tried making angel food cake many times, and each time, my cupcakes shrink once they come out of the oven. Not pretty. In the meantime, I’ve been living on Jessica’s version.
I also want to say that many of you requested recipes that I already have on the site. So, please please please, check out my recipe index and your wish will be granted! Even for something you might not normally consider a dessert: corn muffins, biscuits, or banana bread, I already scaled those down for y’all. Enjoy!
And now, without further ado, I would like to announce the winner!
Ok, if you didn’t win, I think I have something to make you feel better. These chocolate pancakes complete with chocolate chips, strawberry sauce, and extra chocolate sauce will put a smile on anyone’s face.
Makes 4 5" pancakes
- 6 ounces strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- chocolate syrup for drizzling (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted plus extra for greasing pan
- a handful chocolate chips (I used 24)
- Melt a small pat of butter on a griddle or non-stick skillet over low heat.
- In a small saucepan, combine the strawberries and maple syrup over low heat. Cook for 8-9 minutes, or until the strawberries break down and a thick syrup forms.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, cocoa powder, and brown or sugar. In another small bowl, whisk together the milk, vanilla, egg yolk, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine lightly, but be careful not to overmix.
- Once the griddle or skillet is hot, use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop out batter to make 4 pancakes. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over all 4 pancakes. As soon as bubbles appear, flip the pancakes and continue cooking until browned and done. Serve with the strawberry sauce and chocolate syrup.
*Feel free to use 1/2 cup all-purpose flour instead of a blend of regular and whole wheat pastry flour.