Why so many boozy pops? Because, my friends, if I sit on my deck with a cocktail in one hand and a baby in the other, the neighbors might judge. However, if I sit on the deck with a popsicle in one hand and a baby in my lap, no one judges. They think, ‘hey, she’s enjoying a delicious coconut popsicle’, when really, I’m enjoying a Boozy Horchata Pop. In this case, I look like I’m enjoying a grape popsicle, but what I’m actually eating is approximately 13.5 times better–a hibiscus margarita on a stick. Oh Lordy.
I’ve been into hibiscus since before Starbucks made it so popular with their Passion tea. My roommate in college was from Mexico, and she would make tall pitchers of what she called ‘agua de jaimaica’ in her ever-so-lovely accent. Don’t you dare pronounce the ‘j’ in jaimaica. It’s an ‘h.’ Cristina (yes, two Christinas lived together) was very strict about pronouncing Spanish words with a Spanish accent. You can still occasionally hear me call cilantro ‘cee-lantro’ with a slight rolled ‘r.’ It’s a charming habit. Or so I think. It’s probably annoying, actually.
So, a hibiscus margarita would have um, hibiscus tea, lime, triple sec, and tequila. We have all that here, except with an alcohol level that won’t prevent freezing. That is a nice way of saying don’t melt these and expect a buzz. You can still rub them with a lime and dip them in salt, like you would a margarita, though. I think that’s fair.
So, cheers to deck drinking sans judgement!
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried hibiscus (agua de jamaica) flowers
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 2 teaspoons triple sec (or Cointreau)
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and stir in the flowers. Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain the flowers from the tea, and then whisk in the sugar. Whisk very well to dissolve.
- Next, stir in the lime juice and alcohols.
- Taste. Smile.
- Pour into popsicle molds, insert sticks, and freeze until solid.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Sodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 88gSugar: 79gProtein: 1g