Since Valentine’s Day falls on a Monday this year, I think we should celebrate the entire weekend before the big day. A leisurely breakfast in bed with a plate full of these sweet and tender muffins sounds just lovely to me. Tiny bites of fresh strawberries tucked in a buttermilk batter scented with cinnamon and topped with a sprinkling of sugar for crunch—what’s not to love?
Yields 4 muffins.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup small-diced fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar (or regular sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a muffin tin with 4 paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the butter and sugar. Beat this mixture very well, until fluffy and well-blended, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the egg white and beat to combine.
- Add half of the flour mixture and 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk and beat lightly. Add the remaining flour and buttermilk and beat until just combined—do not over mix.
- With a spatula, fold in the diced strawberries. Divide the batter between the 4 muffin cups and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar over each muffin before placing in the oven. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.