I’m not one to brag, but please, let me brag.
Someone told me that my brownies are better than any relationship they’ve ever been in. I’m thinking back to some of the poor souls I’ve dated, and I definitely should have passed on the guy and taken the fudgey brownie instead. Many times, actually. My brownies are exceeding in richness (unlike some of the men I’ve dated), and their chewiness and charm knows no bounds (unlike most of the men I’ve dated).
If Prince Charming isn’t on your horizon this Valentine’s Day, I say my brownies are a better substitute. Don’t settle for a dud who forgets to make a reservation and rushes you through dinner, hoping you won’t order dessert. Stay home and hang out with my brownies instead. You’ll be happier. Trust me. A sure thing is always better than taking a chance.
My brownies (like always) are made in a standard-size 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. When you cut them down the middle, you get two large bakery-sized brownies. Sure, you can slice them smaller and get 4 medium-sized brownies, but there’s really no need. You know you’re going to eat half, so just go ahead and do it. I’m here for you when it’s over.
My sweet neighbor gave me a precious jar of her strawberry jam from this summer. Maybe I’m a simple girl, but I’d rather have a homemade jar of jam made with home-grown strawberries than roses any day. When she brought me the jar, I immediately opened it and started eating it with a spoon. Swirling it into brownies and making a glaze for the top was my second thought.
So, let’s recap: brownies > most men. Unless you found your Prince Charming. If so, I’d recommend sharing these brownies with him.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
For the glaze:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat the oven to 325, and line a 9 x 5" bread loaf pan with parchment paper (or, grease it very well).
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stir, and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Stir the mixture very well, then add the salt and vanilla. Stir and let cool for 1 minute.
- Next, add the egg, and stir until incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and then give the batter about 50 brisk strokes using a wooden spoon.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan, and top with the strawberry jam. Swirl the jam into the brownies with a toothpick.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out with only moist crumbs.
- Whisk together all the glaze ingredients, adding more milk to make it pourable.
- Slice the brownies into 2 or 4 pieces, and drizzle with glaze.
I use a bread loaf pan to make small batch brownies. You'll get 4 brownies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g