Strawberry Pudding

I don’t know about you, but I had never seen fruit pudding made from scratch until I saw blackberry pudding tarts in Southern Living’s Classic Southern Desserts.  The idea intrigued me, so I had to make it last week when strawberries went on sale for Valentine’s Day.  Creamy, tangy fruit with the richness of pudding could almost pass for breakfast.  The dollop of orange-scented whipped cream on top takes you to strawberries ‘n cream heaven.

I like to serve the pudding in shallow ramekins to maximize the pudding to whipped cream ratio in each spoonful.  But, I’ve also served them in cute tart shells because I can’t get enough of ‘em lately.

Strawberry Pudding

Makes 2 ramekins.
  • 8 oz. strawberries (frozen are fine)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon flour
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
For the whipped cream:
  • 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • ¼ teaspoon orange zest
  • 1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  1. In a small saucepan, add the strawberries, water and orange juice over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes once the water simmers, mashing the strawberries as they soften. When the mixture is homogeneous, strain in through a sieve to remove seeds and pulp. Press down on the strawberries to get every last drop of juice. You should end up with ½ cup of strawberry puree.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly whisk in the strawberry puree. When no lumps are visible, pour the mixture back into the small saucepan and turn the heat to medium low. Cook while stirring continuously. When the mixture comes to a bubble and thickens, turn off the heat. Add the butter, stir until melted, then stir in the vanilla. Pour into 2 ramekins, pressing plastic wrap directly on the surface, and chill for 4 hours before serving.
  3. When ready to serve, whip heavy cream and orange zest until beginning to thicken. Add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Taste; if desired, beat in another tablespoon of powdered sugar. Dollop on top of the puddings and serve.

Comments

This one is brilliant! So beautiful and vibrant…and serving it in the shell is perfect! Thanks for sharing – I’ve never heard of it, either!

We don’t really go in for pudding in a big way here in the UK but we totally should, it’s so good! Plus this almost passes as a healthy dessert seeing as it’s got fruit in it (and just a teeny tiny bit of sugar…) :-)

3. Charlie says

Christina:

I have to ask ………….. is this more like a jello pudding or an old fashioned custard?

Also I take it the baking powder and flour act as thickening agents …………… so if I deleted them and put in the same amount of custard powder that should be fine??

It looks so good!
    I love that you put it into tart shells.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for writing. The texture is more like a jello pudding. I was trying to mimic Jello, but use all natural ingredients.

And I have no idea what will happen if you use custard powder.

Have fun!
      Christina

4. Deborah says

I made this last week and it is wonderful!! I’ve already bought more strawberries to make it again this week. It’s a good thing that it makes just two servings or we would certainly overindulge.

5. Aspsusa says

Hi, stumbled upon this while searching for a totally different kind of strawberry pudding (cream, jello-ish consistency), but it is an intriguing recipe you have here – and totally stunning photographs!

But like Charlie above, I don’t quite get what the baking powder is doing here – it is a rising agent, is the idea to make it fluffier when you cook it?

Personally, for this type of pudding/custard I would probably do it the simple way my grandmother did: take whatever berries/juice you want (as smooth or as chunky as you like it), add a some sugar to taste if needed, some water, heat it and then thicken it with a few tbspoons of potato-starch (dissolved in a bit of cold water). Let cook for a little while, then just cool it. This gives a more custardy type of pudding, though.
    But I am sure your is much tastier!