Chocolate peanut butter cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting. Small batch of chocolate cupcakes with fluffy peanut butter frosting.
I've been tinkering with my chocolate cupcake recipe lately, because my original one, while delicious, made slightly too much batter for 4 cupcake liners. I love the new version I've come up with because it has even more chocolate flavor. I hope my niece and nephews approve this recipe--they're my biggest fans and they are the true authorities on cupcakes!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 ½ ounces bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon vanilla
For the frosting:
- 3 ounces cream cheese (I used light), at room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Place 4 paper cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate and canola oil. Microwave on 30 second pulses, stirring between each pulse, until chocolate is completely melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour and baking powder and stir with a fork to combine.
- To the chocolate mixture, whisk in the sugar, followed by the egg and vanilla. Whisk this mixture together very well. Add all of the flour at once and stir with a spoon or spatula to combine.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before moving the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack.
- To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, add all ingredients and beat together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost and serve.
These cupcakes are best stored at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 29gProtein: 8g