Crumb Donuts

The best desserts have streusel on top, am I right?  Peach crisp, apple crumb pie, and berry crumble would all be lost without the crumb topping.  Buttery bits of cinnamon and brown sugar clumped together just have a way of making you lick your fingers to pick up every last crumb.   These donuts will have you licking your fingers, that’s for sure.

It’s a basic vanilla and nutmeg-scented donut with a crumb topping that you pop in the oven while the donuts are baking.  The crumb mixture will flatten out like one big cookie, but don’t worry.  Just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t turn much past golden-brown.  As soon as it comes out of the oven, flake it with a fork to create the crumbs.

With a cup of warm coffee, these donuts are the perfect antidote to get through a work week while you wait for a 3-day weekend.

Here’a link to my favorite 6-portion donut pan by Wilton.

Crumb Donuts

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
For the glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 6-donut pan very well with cooking spray.
  2. First, make the crumb topping. In a small bowl, combine the cubed butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mash the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork. Make sure the butter is well incorporated with no patches of flour. Pour the mixture out on a small baking sheet lined with foil. Set aside.
  3. Next, make the donuts: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
  4. In a small saucepan, stir together the milk, egg white, butter and vanilla. Stir the mixture continuously over medium-low heat until the butter dissolves completely.
  5. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry (but don’t over-mix).
  6. Divide the batter between the 6 spaces in the donut pan and bake for 8-9 minutes. Add the pan of crumbs to the oven at the same time. Keep an eye on the crumbs–the mixture will spread out like one giant cookie. Make sure it doesn’t get too dark brown. When the donuts are done, the surface of the donuts will spring back when pressed gently.
  7. Let the donuts cool in the pan 5 minutes before removing them. Meanwhile, scrape the crumb mixture with a fork to create crumbs. Pour the crumbs into a shallow bowl or plate.
  8. Whisk together the glaze ingredients in a shallow bowl. To serve the donuts, dip each top into the glaze, then the crumb mixture.

Comments

Wait. You said the best desserts have streusel on top. Does this mean you don’t put streusel on EVERYTHING? Because I totally do. It’s fabulous on meatloaf. And french fries. Also, ham sandwiches.

Okay, fine. So, maybe it doesn’t belong on everything, but streusel is my life.

You’re right! Everything is soooooo much better with a crumb-topping. Infact, whenever I have something with a crumble on top, I eat it upside down so I can save the crumb for last :)

These look amazing and so delicious!

I love that you took something as delicious as a donut and made it a million times better with crumb topping! Lets be honest, if I could make and eat only crumb topping (without getting strange looks from my fiance) than I totally would!

Agghhh!! I have everything to make these donuts–how exciting, I love when that happens. I have that exact donut pan and haven’t put it to enough use over the past year. Definitely want to try these! And yes, streusels make the world go round :)

My love, how did you know that I’ve been thinking about donuts nonstop for a few days now?!? You read my food-lovin’ mind.

Also…couldn’t agree more about that struesel topping. I love it so much I recently put some on baked oatmeal. Oh yes, you know I did.

How did you know that these are my favorite kind of doughnuts?! I’m consistently amazed by the wonderful flavors bloggers come up with for doughnuts (they all look so great) but you hit the nail on the head with this one – the crumb topping doughnut has always been my thang and your homemade version is probably a billion times better than the packaged version I used to buy!

7. Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau says

That crumb topping is making me so happy. I love that this is basically a crumb cake in a donut form – totally ups the cuteness factor!

8. Amna says

WONDERFUL recipe Christina! Just made these now, sampled one and these donuts are PERFECT. Incredibly soft, beautifully spiced, just the right size, and only 6 pieces so no guilt of overeating :) Would compliment a good cup of coffee on a cool, breezy autumn morning. Thanks for sharing, I’ll be trying out some more of your recipes soon!