Dinner For Two: Mushroom and Swiss Patty Melts

Patty-Melt-1a copy

When I feel like we’re being ‘too good,’ I make us patty melts.  When we’re digging holes to plant trees, cleaning house from top to bottom before company arrives, and spreading 40 bags of mulch in the garden, we deserve greasy diner food.

When the only thing working harder than us is the washing machine trying to remove our dirt and grass stains, we eat beef.

I’ve shared before how we don’t eat much red meat.  It is for no other reason except personal preference.  We are vegetable-centric. (I’m thinking of starting my own cult called ‘vegetable-centric—you in?)  So, when I do feel like eating red meat, we go big.

The secret to great patty melts is this:  I make square shaped patties to maximize crispy bread to juice patty deliciousness.  I go heavy on the spicy brown mustard.  I pile on the mushrooms and swiss.  And it’s a feast.

So, indulge with me  today.  I’m taking one pound of ground beef and making two dinners for two.  Be sure to put this on your weeknight rotation.

Grab the recipe for my Mushroom and Swiss Patty Melts over on Food Fanatic today.

Patty-Melts-3

Comments

Girl, I am just LOVING your tip of making the patties square to maximize the delish factor! Cannot wait to make these patty melts for The Big Lug. Surely to become a favorite of ours. And, it is totally normal to be “veggie centric”. ;) Thanks for sharing!

I’m in, I’m in! I’ll take role in the Vegetable-Centric club! Sounds delicious! But first, let’s have a patty melt! Those things look amazing. I love the mushrooms and the swiss and want to eat it fresh off the cast iron skillet! :)

I have noticed the older I get the less apt I am to eat red meat. And I know this sounds a little crazy, but I think I prefer burgers over steak now. I never thought I’d say that! Sounds like you worked hard and needed some extra protein to celebrate – lol! Looks yummy!

4. angelitacarmelita says

Veggie-centric? I’m all in. I do the same, I eat mostly veggies and rarely eat red meat, I’m much more of a pork kinda southern girl. But when your talking burgers or patty melts? well, I’m all in too. They’re rare (and by rare I don’t mean temperature wise, I mean few and far between), but man are they good!

I will join your vegetable-centric cult! Trust me, when you don’t live with a man, eating red meat becomes even less of a preference. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I cooked red meat for myself. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy it the odd time. My dad did BBQ me a big juicy steak last night. :)

Hi Christina! These look like great comfort food after a hard day of work. I agree with the “go big” mentality. We don’t eat much red meat either, but when we do, we like to really let the meat take center stage.

By the way, I wanted to let you know that I was inspired by your Ginger Peach Cupcakes, and made my own version based on what I had in my kitchen. In case you’d like to see how they turned out, I’ve posted them here: http://www.thelandofmilkncookies.com/2013/08/peach-cupcakes-with-raspberry.html

Thank you so much for the inspiration. I’m not sure I ever would have thought to try peach cupcakes had it not been for your post!!

devouring some of our favorite foods at times with pleasure,without any guilt is just what we do…these mushroom and cheese melts look so gorgeous and we absolutely heart swiss cheese,scrumptious treat :-)