Indoor S’mores

Indoor-Smores-037

Let me guess…it’s cold outside where you are?  Thought so.

This is the second year in my life where I’ve had to deal with snow.  Oh, sure we’d get a slight dusting of snow in Texas every so often.  It would disappear almost as quickly as it came, but not before halting all civilization.  Texans aren’t made for driving in the white stuff.  If you’re driving in snow and see a Texas license plate, I beg you, please pull over and let them slide pass you.  You’ll thank me later.  In California, the winter is just foggy and drizzly with rain.  I miss that cozy fog.  But this Midwest snow?  I just don’t know about it yet.

If I could fast forward passed this winter and have it be summertime again, I would do it in a heartbeat for you.  Let’s pretend the days are warm and the nights are just cool enough for a campfire.  A campfire with s’mores!  Wait, back to reality:  we’re making s’mores in the oven today.  With a cast iron skillet.  Oh, yes we are!

Indoor-Smores-005

I used my mini 6″ cast iron skillet, just like I would if I was using an outdoor campfire instead of my oven.  Fill it with your favorite chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips) and top with marshmallows.  Bake in the oven until nice and toasty.  Then, scoop it all up with graham crackers.

Indoor-Smores-019

Let’s gather around the stove and pretend it’s a campfire, and scoop up this melted chocolate goodness and toasted marshmallow gooeyness with graham crackers!  You can use mini marshmallows, large marshmallows, or even homemade marshmallows.  All kinds of marshmallows are delicious.  Fact.

Case in point:

Indoor-Smores-045b

I hope this recipe warms you up in this cold winter season!

Indoor S'mores
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

• 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 8 large marshmallows
  • graham crackers for dipping
  1. Preheat the oven to 450.
  2. In a cast iron skillet, add the chocolate chips. Snip the large marshmallows in half and top the chocolate chips with them. (You could also use a scoop of mini marshmallows alternatively.)
  3. Once the oven is up to temperature, add the skillet to the oven. Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the marshmallows turn golden brown.
  4. Serve with graham crackers for scooping.
Notes
I was inspired by my favorite magazine, Taste of the South.

Comments

My sister and I have been talking about awesome desserts to make on New Year’s Eve. This is making that list. This might be the only thing on that list because really, why would I need anything else after this?!

As much as I love the snow, I wouldn’t mind avoiding the crazy drivers and all the shoveling altogether for just one season. A perpetual summer would be find by me – bring on the campfire, outdoor shmooores, and sangria! My brain did a somersault when I saw the title of your post because I’ve been trying to figure out how to light a campfire in my oven for YEARS! Love this brilliant idea!

Another great reason, and one of the main uses for my mini skillet: One box of Jiffy Corn Meal mix for cornbread. Six good-sized slices…with a couple tsp of sugar added, of course!

What a great question, Aydee! (I used to have a friend growing up named Aydee!) I would try one of those heavy ceramic bakeware pieces. Like an 8″ square casserole dish? I think regular metal bakeware is too thin, though I haven’t tried anything besides the cast iron. Good luck! Let us all know how it turns out :)

• Vivian says

I found this on Pinterest & made this tonight! I don’t have a small skillet, so I used a large white ramekin instead!
        (Corningware) Worked great & my family loved it up here in snowy Canada. Thanks for a great recipe!

3. SUMMER says

My only question is – how’d u clean the skillet after? I’ve always been told never to wash my cast iron skillet to wipe it out pretty much………….. this looks yummy so please share how you cleaned ur skillet.

What a great question, Summer! After the dessert was all gone, I scraped out my skillet. Then, I soaked it in warm water and scrubbed it with a coarse brush. After letting it dry, I rubbed a bit of oil into my pan. Chocolate is acidic, and I was worried about my pan being damaged, so the oil remedied that. Happy baking :)

I have seen so many recipes for indoor s’mores that leave me, well, cold, because they just don’t capture the essence of a fireside. But add a cast iron skillet and you have all the rustic makings of a fantastic winter’s night. I love it!

Oh my gaw! It has been blustery and cold here in Baltimore. It’s all cozy sweater and slippers 24-7. If I don’t have to go out, I don’t. I wouldn’t mind getting cozy with this here s’mores dip. Yum!

whyyyyyyyyyy!!! now, i’ll be dreaming and drooling about this all night long. there goes my diet!

but….i’m happy this is what’s going to break me and my diet up :-)

7. Paul says

OK so I made this for the Olympics opening ceremony party I was going to. But I was a little disappointed – the recipe is GREAT, and I love it….bt the chocolate didn’t ‘melt’ – it seemed to actually harden, almost as though it was being cooked TOO much, but I watched it very closely….it never got to that gooey consistency that you would want in order to be able to dip crackers into it.

thoughts? I am wondering if it was too far towards the bottom of the oven when cooking….and the bottom of the cast iron heated up too quickly…..

Did you let them sit on the counter a few moments before eating? They need a few minutes to melt. The recipe calls for such a short time in the oven so that the chocolate won’t scorch.

ALSO: the bottom of your oven is too hot! Your racks should be in the center of the oven always (unless a recipe says to move the racks).

Did you say you made these and then took them to a party? The chocolate hardened while you drove over. They need to be served immediately. I will update my recipe to reflect this.

Overall, it sounds to me like the chocolate scorched in the bottom of the oven. Move the racks to the center and try again. And you’ll be rewarded with delicious melty chocolate :)

1. […] Goat Cheese Risotto Cakes Mint Chocolate Brownie Bites Sweet Potato Gingerbread Smoothie Indoor S’mores Christmas Breakfast Cookies Cranberry & Kale Turkey Burgers Chocolate Cornbread Gingerbread […]

2. […] And now for something that will rock your world (slight over statement) after a whole lot of nothing to share. If you are needing a cozy winter dessert try this yummy treat I saw on Pintrest (there are a few versions out there) ….mini cast iron skillet, sprinkle with broken chocolate bar or choc chips, topped with marshmallows! Pop in the oven on low heat then turn on broiler for a min or two to toast the marshmallows. Use graham crackers for dipping! You’ll never go back to attempting to bite into a s’more…you get all the s’mores goodness without the mess!    For those of you that insist on reading a real recipe here is one of the links from pintrest.  […]

3. […] while we exchange gifts, we will  make the easiest and most delicious dessert in the ever: Indoor S’mores.  (I’ve made these before – highly recommend!) Gifts! For me: What girl wouldn’t […]