You’re still doing the healthy thing, aren’t you? How’s that going for you? I will admit, I’m doing the healthy thing, too. Since I bake and eat desserts year ’round, I had to learn moderation a long time ago. And stick to it, too! I have a few rules that help me along.
One of my best rules is to either eat dessert or have a glass of wine, never both. And if possible, choose a fruit dessert. The fiber from the fruit fills you up, so you’ll feel as if you ate a big slice of chocolate cake. Trust me?
When I open the fridge door and see a bowl of these fresh berries marinating in balsamic vinegar and sugar, I’m inspired to put them on everything. I love them on top of yogurt for breakfast, and I can’t resist a scoop on top of vanilla frozen yogurt for dessert. Last week, I added a scoop to a spinach salad with crumbled goat cheese—breathtaking! These marinated berries will take you through breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert, I tell ya.
There’s something addicting about sweet berries and a tangy balsamic. Give ’em a try!
- 1 cup sliced fresh Driscoll's strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh Driscoll's blackberries
- 1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (coconut sugar and honey are great here)
- frozen vanilla yogurt, for serving
- Place the sliced strawberries and blackberries in a bowl big enough for mixing. Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar and stir to coat very well.
- Refrigerate the berry mixture for one hour, stir, and then serve. The berries can marinate overnight without adversely affecting the texture. However, they are best eaten within 24 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g